It reduces stress and increases strength and flexibility. In fact, yoga, which is a very old tradition, means "unity" in Sanskrit, a local language. Many people, who are tired of the chaos and monotony of modern life, prefer to relax with yoga exercises today.
Like any exercise program, yoga requires a variety of equipment. If you are a yogi at the very beginning of the road, you may not have a definite answer on how to choose the right yoga mat for yourself. In this article, we will explain step by step how to choose a beginner yoga mat for a beginner to yoga.
You can only find the right yoga mat by asking yourself the right questions!
Before starting to give tips on making a good choice, it would be useful to mention one thing. There is no such thing as the best yoga mat, but there is one that works best for you. For this reason, if you have a thought like "I must buy the best yoga mat", you can start by turning it into "I must choose the right one for myself".
The first thing you should do when choosing the right yoga mat is to list your needs. While determining your needs, you can ask yourself the following questions;
- Do I plan to travel often with my yoga mat? If you are a “traveler” and you love to do yoga on vacation, you should choose a yoga mat with much more compact features that is easy to carry and pack. Generally, those with 1.5 or 2.5mm thick yoga mats can easily meet this need.
- Do I plan to practice more often in the near future? If you plan to become more involved with yoga in the near future, you can choose a more durable gym mat.
- Will hot yoga practices make up the bulk of my workouts? If you have this type of exercise program, it would be appropriate for your safety and comfort to choose a non-slip yoga mat that holds more firmly to the ground.
- Do I need an extra long yoga mat? If you are a tall yogi, purchasing a yoga mat suitable for your height will be extremely important for your comfort. In addition, if your skin is sensitive and your knees hurt easily, you may want to consider choosing a thicker and softer yoga mat.
- Finally, perhaps the most important question you should ask yourself is: What is the budget I have allocated for this job? You can come across very expensive and quite affordable products. Finding the balance between needs and spending is entirely your responsibility. You can also complete your yoga exercises by purchasing a moderately correct yoga mat that will do the job.